Eleven people have been injured, including two children, after a racing driver lost control of his vehicle at a rally event in Austria.
The professional driver was attending an event at an arena on Patergasse on Saturday when he lost control of his car around 3.30pm and crashed into the crowd.
“Suddenly we heard screams, people seeking help ran towards us,” said a witness to the Austrian news agency Krone.
Seven and 7plus offers motorsport action throughout the year, including coverage of the entire Supercars season. Stream for free on 7plus >>
Eleven people were treated for injuries, including two children, aged 8 and 10, who were seriously injured.
The seriously injured were airlifted to hospital while the rest of Race Cup Carinthia was cancelled.
The 35-year-old driver was not injured.
“Everyone is in shock,” said Andreas Foditsch, commander of FF Patergassen, to Krone.
In early April, a Brisbane man was killed after crashing his car at the annual Targa Tasmania rally, the fourth competitor to be killed at the race in the past two years.
The driver and his passenger were on board when the car went over an embankment on a closed section of the event at Mount Roland in the north of the state.
The latest fatality brings the number of participants who have died during the Tasmanian event’s 30-year history to six.
Targa Tasmania competitors Shane Navin, Leigh Mundy and Dennis Neagle all died at last year’s event, prompting the establishment of a court of inquiry.
There were 23 recommendations for future tarmac rallies, including speed limits, changing stages annually to avoid complacency, and a tiered licensing system.
Twenty-one of these have been accepted by rally organizers, with two responsible for implementation from Motorsport Australia.
– With AAP